Thursday, May 16, 2013

My First Mom's Day!


For many years I have longed to celebrate mother’s day.  Every year, my heart ached for what I knew had to be the best feeling in the world.  Finally, my dream has come true, and it IS the best feeling in the world!!

My first Mother’s Day was much as I had expected….just like any other day, except I got a present.  The laundry was still here and there were still messes to clean up, but you know what?  I couldn’t have been happier about it!  When the laundry includes itty bitty socks and cute little t-shirts and the messes are sippy cups and strewn about toys, that’s just fine with me!

We had breakfast at my sister’s house and came home for a bit before Grace had to go back to her mother’s house.  Grace bought me 2 new Willow Tree Angels, which were perfect.  After Grace left, we headed to the lake with some fishing poles (not for me though, I suck at fishing).  It was a beautiful day to just be outside and we enjoyed it. 

Lucas was full of kisses and made my heart swell every time he looked at me.  We finally settled in for the night after bath time on the couch.  He fell asleep while I held himas we watched tv.  Even though he sweats like crazy when he sleeps and my arm was soaked I couldn’t get up and go lay him in his bed.  I just wanted to keep looking at him! 

As ashamed as I am to say it, it wasn’t until that moment that I thought of his birth mom.  She may not have custody of him, but she had to be thinking of him.  Since he is in foster care, she did not decide to place him for adoption and did not choose us; but I hope that she knew that we were thinking of her and that she had some comfort that he was in a safe place. 

We made a handprint for her on Monday and will send it to their next visit.  I hope that she will accept it and knows that it is coming from a good place in my heart.  I worry about that.  Though we hope to adopt him and ultimately hope he doesn’t return “home”, I don’t want her to feel like I think I’m better than her.  I hope that my gestures (like sending a letter, picture, or his artwork) won’t lead her in that direction.  I will still send them unless she says that she wishes otherwise.    On Sunday though, I was sure thankful that she gave birth to the precious little boy I was blessed to be holding in my arms!

No comments: